Sunday, August 12, 2007

I was wrong...this was the easy part

There is an inner ring that sits inside the outer one I just built. This creates a bushing mechanism.

Here is a pic of the original nested in the outer ring:

See it?

Here is just the inner ring displayed in tubes view:

This diamondoid ring looks familiar. I know because I have already spent an hour taking it apart to build Damian's carbon nanotube bearing. This is a good lesson: Don't feel like you have to reinvent the wheel. If you get something that works, keep using it. A slightly less talked about, but equally valuable, lesson is: Never throw anything away.

I just happen to have a copy of the ring moiety laying around here:

Extruding this one gives a ring like the original:

Mine is on the left; or is it on the right? Hmmm. Just kidding. What? Have you heard that one before?

Putting them together:

Beautiful. However I might need to go back and extrude the outer ring to 25 instead of 24. It looks a little tight. I guess I could actually measure Damian's ring's diameter. We'll see.

I am now really sure that was the easy part.

MTF

No comments: