Tuesday, July 31, 2007

breaking 100k on the truss with some planks



Remember when I used to whine about 15,000 atoms? Well, I'm past that. Placing these four diamond planks over the truss has brought the atom count up to 121,812. Not all the planks are completely bonded to the truss yet, but I wanted to see if it would be possible for my system to work with a part this large. It takes a lot of patience, but it's not impossible.

I wanted to get a QuteMol graphic, but there is some combination of A8 and QuteMol that doesn't like larger files. Tubes get dropped and crust gets formed. I still haven't tried saving a large protein data bank file in the A9 version.

I don't really think this is a practical way to simulate the truss under stress. I would have to attach dozens (hundreds?) of linear motors to individual carbon atoms on the slabs which would then transmit some of the force to the truss, but I think it looks pretty cool.

No comments: