Saturday, March 3, 2007

trying to model Nano-Velcro





























This was my first attempt at building something without a tutorial. I chose Nano-Velcro . I've tried to model it in the past, with much to be desired. I came much closer this time, but, as the second image shows, mine wants to untwist at the end of the simulation. This is because Nano-Velcro uses pentagon and heptagon deformaties in the carbon lattice to make the hook part. I started off with a 20 A CNT (m =0, n=7) and manually bonded a second prefab CNT with the same chiralty, but this one I bent 180 degrees to form the hook. This only creates a bent CNT and not a rigid torus like in the original design. I changed up the default colors so it was easier to see the separate tubes.

Nano-Velcro has been proposed as a very strong, self-repairing, way to mechanically bond stuff together. As an undergrad I wrote a hypothetical business plan for a company using it to replace wire bonding in the production of integrated circuits. After the class presentation I found out one of the other students had accepted a position with Applied Materials, one of the largest producers of IC-manufacturing equipment. Maybe I should of insisted on a non-disclosure agreement?

No comments: