Sunday, March 4, 2007

planetary gear box with a cast of thousands















This is a planetary gear box. This one has eight planet gears. It has taken the better part of the day to make, but, again, a lot of that was waiting for my computer to make the computations. I worked from a tutorial, but ran into several problems. There is a lot of hidden structure inside the outside casing; if I get around to it I will post some pics of the sun and planet gears inside. The main problem I had was with building the sun gear. Something went wrong and I had to manually bond every other oxygen atom on the inside of the gear. Also I accidentally deleted an entire row of carbon atoms but didn't notice until a while later. I had to piece that back together.

This is about as complex as I can get with my Toshiba laptop, but I think it is six years old. I am going to look around and see what I can put together in terms of a faster computer. Next project might be a semi-original speed reducer using carbon nanotubes. I will try to sketch out a complete design on paper first before I try to model it in NanoEngineer-1. I am thinking I will post it piecewise here, so you can follow along with the agony and the ecstasy.

No comments: