Wednesday, April 16, 2008

well, maybe I need a tighter tube


If the sleeve is propelled by phonons from the narrow tube, I need to come up with something else. You can see the seem where I split and anchored the tube (a potential problem). Everything to the left is at 200 K and everything to the right, including the sleeve, (maybe another problem) is at 500 K. Plus since this sim is in a vacuum, I would need to ensure there is some physical contact between the two tubes. It doesn't look like there is, and maybe my temp gradient is too steep. I need a nice scale from crazy vibrations pushing to moderate vibrations pushing to minimal vibrations?

A lot of stuff to consider.

3 comments:

jim said...

Tom,
I don't know if this will be helpful or not but in the experiment the two tubes did not have the same structure (armchair, zig-zag or helical are the three types of nanotubes) but I don't know which ones they used.

jim

Perry E. Metzger said...

Is phonon transport even rigorously modeled by the molecular mechanics based simulator in use here?

Anonymous said...

The temp was 1000 C at the center and 27 C at the ends. Inner tube 1,000 nm in length and 200 nm for the outer sleve.