Saturday, March 3, 2007

getting started with a small bearing















Above is a picture of a molecular bearing I constructed using a tutorial for NanoEngineer-1. The entire process took about an hour, but I imagine much of that was due to learning the software and the speed of my trusty old Toshiba Laptop. In the future I am sure I can get better renderings and even animated simulations. The atom break down is as follows:

White - Hydrogen
Yellow - Sulfur
Black - Silicon
Gray - Carbon
Red - Oxygen

The idea is the inner sleeve, encased in sulfur, is allowed to rotate inside of the silicon/carbon outer ring, just like...well, a bearing. I will go into greater detail on the functioning of these machines in the future. More posts to follow...

2 comments:

Tom said...

m

Dupont Hydro Industries said...

Hi there. Nice blog. You have shared useful information. Keep up the good work! This blog is really interesting and gives good details. Planetary Gear Boxes, Reduction Gear Boxes.